Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

$1,050,000 Settlement For Family Of Boy Killed By Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

DISCLAIMER: The results are specific to the facts and legal circumstances of each of the clients' cases and should not be used to form an expectation that the same results could be obtained for other clients in similar matters without reference to the specific factual and legal circumstances of each client's case.

The estate of a 5-year- old boy has reached a settlement in the amount of $1,050,000 with a landowner and a contractor in a case that arose from a fire on the south side of Chicago on December 29, 2000.

On Tuesday, Cook County Circuit Court Judge Edward R. Burr approved the agreement between the Estate of Shatuan Fulton and Ellis Stukey Realty, Inc. and CHAC, Inc.

On the date of the fire, Shatuan Fulton was visiting his grandmother in her apartment managed by Ellis Stukey Realty, Inc. The apartment had no operating smoke detector and the young boy died due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Estate claimed that the management company should have had an operating smoke detector in the unit. The Estate further claimed that CHAC, Inc. failed to timely inspect the unit on an annual basis. The defendants denied any liability.

The plaintiffs were represented by Joseph P. Shannon. The case is Shavon Williams, Special Administrator of the Estate of Shatuan Fulton v. Ellis Stukey Realty, Inc., et. al. No. 01 L 2931.